Wednesday, August 25, 2010

San Diego County Sheriff's Department: Volunteer Work Outside of Old Town Plaza

SDSO SAR Desert Training: Borrego Springs - August 2010
Most of our readers probably do not know that one of Intermarket's Core Values is service to one's community/country.  Matt and I both believe quite strongly that all of us have the ability to serve in the community in a meaningful capacity.  When I am not running our real estate business at Intermarket Investment Group, I also volunteer as a Reserve Deputy Sheriff with the San Diego County Sheriff's Department as part of the Search And Rescue Team as Special Projects Coordinator. This is tremendously rewarding volunteer work as it affords me an opportunity to give back to the community and the citizens of San Diego County. San Diego has been home to my family for nearly my entire life, so giving back to the community is important to me. 

Many people ask me how did I get involved with the Sheriff's Department as a Reserve Deputy?  This project actually began in the winter of 2007 when I applied to the SDSO Search And Rescue Academy which started January 2008.  The SDSO SAR Academy is a four month long training program which covers a wide variety of topics including First Aid/CPR, Land Navigation, Radios/Communication, K9 Operations, Court Room Testimony, Helicopter Operations, Orienteering, Disaster Response and Physical Fitness.  The PT component is an timed 8-mile cross country hike/run in full uniform with a 20 pound pack NOT including your water.  The current unit record is held by one of Old Town Plaza's very own - Dan Rodriguez of Select Law Group in Suite A-245.  Dan, or "D-Rod" as he is known in the unit, completed the qual hike in just under 1 hour 24 minutes.  I finished second in 1 hour 26 minutes.  The SAR Academy holds classroom sessions every Tuesday and Thursday night from 1830-2130 and every other Saturday from 0800-1700.

Tech Rescue Ropes Training Rappelling Tower - GREAT FUN!
After completing the SAR Academy, I went on to the Grossmont College Police Academy to continue my law enforcement specific training.  We covered basic forms of the California Penal Code, arrest procedures, impact weapons, firearms training, chemical agents, first aid/CPR, close order drill, PT, emergency vehicle operations and defensive tactics.  The GCCC Police Academy was a tremendous amount of work to take on while running Intermarket, but the rewards have been commensurate with the effort I had to put into the academy.  The GCCC PA runs every TUE and THR night from 1730-2200 and every SAT from 0700-1700 from September to December. 

Swearing-in ceremony at SDSO with my Academy Classmates
Our missions vary widely, but I have participated in the search for Amber Dubois, Chelsea King and numerous other searches and law enforcement activities around the county.  Serving my community, country and fellow man is a major priority for me.  My parents raised me with the understanding that "to whom much is given, much is expected."  Serving my community with the Sheriff's Department is one way I stay true to the values with which my parents raised me. 

Desert training in Borrego Springs is another mission set we take on in SDSO SAR.  About ten days ago we tested a new uniform for SAR - the Desert/Hot Weather Uniform.  Designed primarily for hot weather environments, many samples were acquired and tested for deployment with SDSO SAR.  The winning uniform consists of a Columbia Tamiami II shirt (khaki), Under Armour Generation II Tactical Pants (desert sand), REI Sahara Nomad Cape Hat (khaki boonie hat optional), Oakley SI Assault Boot (desert), Oakley SI Assault Gloves (desert), Oakley Assault A-Frame Goggles and an SDSO-issued traffic safety vest for situations requiring high visibility.  Overall, the Desert/Hot Weather Uniform exceeded our expectations.  In particular, the Oakley eyewear, gloves and boots were locked-on and delivered the performance, quality and innovation I've come to expect from Oakley products in general.  The Under Armour Gen II Tactical Pants were also a home run.  I'm quite happy we have an opportunity to deploy products from companies who value the service and sacrifice of our fighting men and women in uniform.  I tip my hat to them all. 

SDPD Quad/ATV Training - August 2010
To the right is a picture from a Quad/ATV Training we did with the San Diego Police Department a few weeks ago on Fiesta Island and Mission Trails Regional Park.  The guys from SDPD were top-notch instructors and we learned lots of valuable skills for off-road enforcement during the course.  I'm looking forward to more opportunities to work with SDPD.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to attend a luncheon hosted by the Honorary Deputy Sheriff's Association.  Sheriff William D. Gore was the keynote speaker.  It was a terrific event where Sheriff Gore shared some of the fantastic success stories from our department that have been made possible by the visionary leadership of some of our local leaders.  In particular, I was encouraged by Sheriff Gore's remarks concerning SDSO's focus on finding and deploying effective cutting edge technology to enhance public safety and the effectiveness of the Department as an innovative law enforcement organization.

Stay tuned to LeaseOldTown.net for more stories about Intermarket Investment Group giving back to the great community we call San Diego.  I would encourage anyone reading this to find a way to help out in your community - there are so many ways in which just a small amount of effort on our part will go a long way in helping others in ways we may not even be aware.  Your willingness and desire to help are more valuable to your community than you might realize.